Sunday 11 March 2007

Katradhu Vaan Alavu - 4




Katradhu Vaan Alavu - 4

Dedicated to Mr Shyam

My beloved Mum was not ready to leave me to join the IAF. As it was very difficult to get a job in the late 80s, every one other than her was convinced. However, as a last ditch effort in trying to convince me, my Mum assured that she would not compel me to study. She used to tell me to study the text books as I did not have the habit of studying except during the time of examination and one thing, ofcourse, I regularly did read the magazines, novels and other periodicals ?!?

From my childhood, I used to say "On the very first day, I get a job, I would start smoking". The call letter to the IAF (Where smoking and Drinking were quite common then and ofcourse now-a-days, it has declined to a great extent) also added worries to her. On 08 Jan 88, I was to report to Air Force Station (AF Stn) Tambaram for my induction into the IAF. All out efforts were made by Mom to convince me but to no avail. I had planned to start on 07 Jan 88 in the morning and finally that day also had come. My Dad had accompanied me to Namakkal to see me off.

On 08 Jan 88, I reported to AF Stn Tambaram. It took almost solid, the whole day to complete different forms, documents and other formalities. Like an Employee Number in every Department, we are given and allotted with Service Numer which was allotted earlier in the morning while filling up the forms. During the lunch break, we were allowed to have lunch outside, for which we were given money. Later, it was learnt that on entry into the Defence, the DP (Defence Personnel) are provided with Free Food and Accommodation (Mani Adichaa Soru, Maamiyaaru Veedu - Right ?!). In the evening, we were dropped at the Domestic Area by the Air Force Vehicle (Service Transport).

Now one thing, I want to make you understand that in Defence, there are mainly two categories of personnel, one is Service Personnel (Uniformed) and the other is Civilian Personnel (Plain Cloths). Service Personnel are again categorised into Officers and Airmen (PBORs - Personnel Below Officer Ranks). Civilians are categorised into Group 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D'. These civilians would be deployed only in the Armed Forces Establishment. In order to have better results, NCs(E) - (Non Combatants Enrolled) were inducted subsequently and these are of Group 'D' category but uniformed. The only difference is that these NCs (E) they don't take oath like that of Service Personnel.

By the time we reached the Domestic area in the evening by the Air Force Vehicle (Service Transport), the evening drill was going on. When they all came back, we could see a 'Mini India', as the trainees were from all over India. Training for our batch started on 01 Jan 88 itself, even then we could get accommodated from 08 Jan 88. Being the one from Men Category, I mean Airmen Category, I was an AC (U/T) - Aircraftsman (Under Training) and put in the Mechanical Stream.

In the IAF, the Pilots come in the Officers Category (Flying Branch). The entry is feasible through NDA - National Defence Academy (After 10 Plus 2) or after a graduation in Maths or Physics through IAF Recruitment for training at AFA - Air Force Academy. The Branch does indicate, the nature of job allocatted and performed by an Officer in the IAF. In Transport aircraft (ac), there is a need for the Navigator as well. We have two fliers for the helicopters as well. But for a Fighter, Bomber ac, there will be only one Pilot. These fliers come under the Flying Branch. The other branches of the IAF are viz Adm (ATC - Air Traffic Controller), Adm (FC - Fighter Controller), Aeronauticl Engineering both Mechanical and Electrical (including Electronics), Meteorology, Accounts, Adm, Logistics, Education and Medical.

C U Soon..............

May God Bless.

5 comments:

G3 said...

Wow.. This post was more informative about IAF :-)

Syam said...

ippo thaan soodu pudikkuthu...IAF pathi niraya visayam solreenga...ini thangamani kitta dhairiyama pesalaam
:-)

Syam said...

//Mani Adichaa Soru, Maamiyaaru Veedu - Right//

athu vera idamnga...athuku peru jail
:-)

SENTHIL EG IYAPPAN said...

//Wow.. This post was more informative about IAF :-)//

Really ?!?

May God Bless.

SENTHIL EG IYAPPAN said...

Hi,
//ippo thaan soodu pudikkuthu...IAF pathi niraya visayam solreenga...ini thangamani kitta dhairiyama pesalaam
:-)//

I have not spoken about Bacardi at all and then how come sood pudikkudhu?!?

//athu vera idamnga...athuku peru jail :-)//

Nammudhum appa appa appadidhaannnu naan ninaikiren. Hi hi hi.

May God Bless.